Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wisdom Teeth-Amanda: Preliminary Visit

Around a year ago, Erik got his wisdom teeth out. Now it is time for Amanda to get hers out.

I went to my first appointment at the oral surgeon’s office. I am going to the same doctor as Erik went to and am getting the same procedure: all four wisdom teeth out. When I got there, first I went into a room and watched an informative video on the procedure and different levels of anesthesia.

General: This choice is where you get put totally under.

Local: This is similar to Novocain for fillings. This is for the more stoic patients!

Light Sedation: In this choice, you receive a “happy juice” (usually midazolam, a light hypnotic) to calm you down and so you are barely aware, although not totally under. Then you receive local anesthesia. This is the option both Erik and I chose.


After my video, I talked to my doctor about the procedure briefly and we looked at my X-rays. It appears that my wisdom teeth aren’t deeply rooted which means they will be easier to get out! Then my mom made an appointment for the procedure.


Another thing that happened in this preliminary visit, is I got my prescription. The usual medicines you will get are ibuprofen (usually a high dose). I also got a prescription for Clindamycin, which I was told to take the day before the procedure. There are some serious side effects with this drug though, so we recommend doing some research before you decide to take this as it is not required.


So now all I have to do it wait till my appointment! We will keep you updated on the days before the procedure and the post-procedure.

-Amanda and Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment